Ren-Oh: Weekend Update

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Weekend Update

An actual day off from the house today, though Saturday was pretty busy with house activities.

The first coat of finish was put on the floor on Saturday.  I don't have any pictures, but the floor is going to look very nice when it is done.  I expect the second coat was done today, but we didn't go by the house to check.  The floor finishers wanted things done by Tuesday so that regular work could proceed starting then.

Also, sometime on Friday, some electrical outlets and switches were installed in the new kitchen.  I'm not sure one way or the other if they are connected or not.

Jane and I went to Ikea on Saturday to look at cabinetry for the laundry room.  Thanks to her tireless effort with the Ikea kitchen planning software, we have a layout that should work for us and be good with the budget as well.  We also saw a bathroom vanity that could be used in the downstairs bathroom and would save some $$$ over having something custom-made.  We took a quick spin by Preston Hardware to look at inexpensive sinks that could go on the Ikea bath vanity, and could re-use the existing bathroom faucet.

Also on Saturday, we went to Universal Appliances to pick up the kit to stack our washer/dryer, and also to settle the bill for the other kitchen appliances before they get delivered.  That's an encouraging step, because we think we'll actually need to get the appliances delivered in the next couple of weeks.  There was also a short trip to Home Despot to look at laundry sinks.

Since this is Thanksgiving weekend, Jane and I figured we should try and make a nice meal at the hotel.  The first hurdle was the oven didn't work.  Once we got that sorted out, we were off to the market to buy some vegetables, and a small prime rib roast of beef, and a pumpkin pie from one of the market bakeries.  Everything turned out delicious.  We didn't bring any kitchen knives with us this time, so carving the roast was the only real hitch. Nothing like hacking apart a $50 roast with a crappy little steak knife.  That's camping for you I guess.

Tomorrow will also be a day off from the house, though I have a round of accounting to do.  We're meeting with our contractor on Tuesday, so it's important to get caught up with the latest numbers before that.  Also on Tuesday, we should have someone come and take measurements for the soapstone counters, and we're hoping to talk about bath vanities with Frank, our kitchen cabinet maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment