Ren-Oh: How’d everything taste?

Sunday, July 26, 2009

How’d everything taste?

bacon – very good.  Everyone liked this.  Flavour of the smoked bacon much more “bacony” than the un-smoked.  Salt/sugar balance very nice as well.

candied salmon – texture and flavour of the fish were more or less what I remember from the commercial product.  The coating was less sweet and a bit lighter in colour than the commercial stuff, but still very nice.  I’ll have to make a “real” batch sometime instead of the small test-batch I made.

pepper cured salmon – The idea here was to use things which impart “black pepper” type flavours such as lemongrass, grapefruit zest, grappa, and (of course) pepper.  This turned out well, though a bit meek overall.  The grapefruit zest gave a nice aroma.  Next time I’ll use more zest and perhaps abandon the pepper theme and put in some fresh or pickled ginger.  Firmness was good, as was salt/sugar balance.

No pictures, unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment