I haven’t gotten back to the farmer’s market to buy a larger piece of pork belly for my various bacon experiments…that will be this weekend. In the meantime, I had a smaller piece in the freezer, maybe 600g. Since we needed something to eat, I cured this up using a similar recipe as before, only substituting brown sugar in place of maple syrup.
I also had a piece of salmon curing in the fridge…this will be ready tomorrow. The salmon was a bit big for the container I would use for curing, so with the “leftover bit”, I have started my experiments to replicate candied salmon from the west coast.
Here’s the pork belly and salmon chunks on the BBQ tonight. I managed to get the hickory smoke going, and keep the overall temp in the 225F range.
bacon, candied salmon, and candied salmon skin. Haven’t tasted anything yet. That will be tomorrow’s blog post I guess.

I've got it! I'll run the winery, preferably situated on some stunning Okanagan vista, you will run our 5 star restaurant (featuring candied salmon, of course!), and Anita can handle the Pension suites. Throw in some high-end art sales (Jane), and we'll have it made.
ReplyDelete