Ren-Oh: One Month In

Monday, February 7, 2011

One Month In

If you haven't guessed, the stupidity project involves writing an iPhone app...one to show current skating conditions for the Rideau Canal.  Among the reasons I picked this app to do were:

  • The NCC website for skating conditions wasn't very usable on an iPhone, or even an iPad for that matter.
  • There wasn't "an app for that" available in the App Store.
  • The scope of the app was small enough that I figured I could knock the thing off pretty quickly (e.g. a week or two).

Of course, the best laid plans of mice and men, and here I am a month later and still not quite finished (but definitely in the last 20%).  The difference between doing an app I can use from time to time, and doing one I'd be satisfied to put in the App Store is significant, and involves dealing with tons of details (big and small).  I could look up and display the skating conditions within 2 days of starting on things.  The rest of the time has been writing, rewriting, polishing, and re-polishing.

Lookin' forward to putting this thing to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment