Ren-Oh: And around we go again

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

And around we go again

No rest for the wicked...

Snapz Pro XScreenSnapz001

Since it took about 10 days for the app approval, I decided I better submit an update today with a couple of important bug fixes that I put in since version 1.0 was submitted.   An app like this which "scrapes" data off a web page outside my control is really at the mercy of whoever maintains that page.  I've had to make some educated guesses about what the page will look like for some types of ice conditions.  We have had a pretty consistent skating season this year, so I didn't have a chance to see the canal closed before I submitted the app to Apple (I did do a rain dance for a bit to try and force the NCC to show me what the "canal is closed" page would look like.

Of course, wouldn't you know it, once the app had been submitted for the better part of a week, the canal was temporarily closed due to warm weather.  The first day of the closure, Skateway was showing things correctly, but the "Other Leading App" was pretty much busted, showing mostly a blank screen plus a bit of text where the word "Closed" had been clipped off the screen so there was no good indication the canal was actually closed.  By the second day of the closure, the web page again changed structure, and now Skateway was also busted pretty badly.  "The Other Leading App" got some bad reviews in iTunes during this period owing to not showing any useful information...so I wanted to get a fix out for Skateway hopefully in time for the inevitable next closing of the canal.  So hopefully either the canal stays open between now and when Apple approves the update, or at the very least the NCC doesn't go too crazy with their web page.

1 comment:

  1. I now have a mental image of you doing a rain dance. bahahahaha

    ReplyDelete