Ren-Oh: Things to do on a mild winter day

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Things to do on a mild winter day

Can’t do much in the way of skiing or skating today with the temps around freezing, but on the other hand, a decent day to spark up the BBQ and do some smoking.

In the foreground is a slab of maple bacon from some pork belly I bought in Chinatown last week.  In the background, there is a pork shoulder that will be roasted for dinner tonight.  The pork roast was bought this fall at the farmer’s market, and is beautifully marbled, etc.  I may have to finish these off in the oven since I’ve set up the BBQ to stay relatively cool for smoking.

The roast was actually twice that size…the other half was ground up this morning and made into breakfast sausage patties.  These were tasty, and I’m starting to get the hang of using the meat grinder (third time will be the charm I hope).

The pork belly slab was larger also…some of it is now hanging in the basement, on its way to becoming pancetta.

No comments:

Post a Comment